Mt. Halcon in Mindoro Occidental Province
Guide to Mt. Halcon in Mindoro Occidental Province, Philippines
Mount Halcon is a mountain located in the Mindoro Occidental Province of the Philippines. It is the highest peak in the province and is a popular destination for hikers and mountaineers.
The closest airport to Mt. Halcon is the San Jose Airport in Occidental Mindoro. From there, you can take a bus or hire a private car to take you to the jump-off point in Baco town.
Hiking Mt. Halcon
The hike up Mt. Halcon is a challenging one. It is recommended only for experienced hikers and mountaineers. The trail is steep and narrow, with some sections requiring the use of ropes and other climbing equipment.
The hike to the summit usually takes around 3-4 days, with camping along the way. The trail passes through dense forests, river crossings, and rocky terrain. Along the way, you will encounter various flora and fauna, including the Mindoro Bleeding-heart Dove, which is endemic to the island.
Things to Bring
- Tent and sleeping bag
- Cooking equipment and food
- Climbing equipment (ropes, harness, etc.)
- Water and water filter
- First aid kit
- Insect repellent
- The best time to hike Mt. Halcon is during the dry season, from December to May.
- Permits are required to hike Mt. Halcon. These can be obtained from the local government office in Baco town.
- There are no stores or facilities on the trail, so make sure to bring everything you need.
- Leave no trace. Make sure to pack out all your trash and follow the principles of Leave No Trace.
Approximate Latitude and Longitude of Mt. Halcon: 13.3089° N, 120.9006° E