Khong Island in Salavan Province
Guide to Khong Island in Salavan Province, Laos
Khong Island, also known as Don Khong, is the largest island in the Mekong River in southern Laos. It is located in the Salavan Province, approximately 14.1439° N, 105.8331° E.
The easiest way to reach Khong Island is by taking a bus or minivan from Pakse, the capital of the Champasak Province. The journey takes around 2-3 hours and costs approximately 50,000 kip.
Things to Do
- Visit the Khone Phapheng Waterfalls - the largest waterfall in Southeast Asia
- Take a boat tour around the island to explore the Mekong River and see local fishermen at work
- Visit the traditional Lao villages on the island to learn about local culture and traditions
- Take a bike or motorbike tour around the island to see rice paddies, temples, and beautiful landscapes
- Relax on one of the island's many beaches and enjoy the stunning views of the Mekong River
Where to Stay
There are several accommodation options on Khong Island, ranging from budget guesthouses to luxury resorts. Some popular options include:
- Khong View Guesthouse
- Sengahloune Resort
- Le Bouton D'or Boutique Hotel
- Senesothxeune Hotel
When to Visit
The best time to visit Khong Island is during the dry season, from November to April. During this time, the weather is warm and sunny, and the Mekong River is calm and easy to explore. The wet season, from May to October, can be unpredictable and may make it difficult to travel around the island.