Chembra Peak in Wayanad
Chembra Peak is the highest peak in Wayanad, Kerala, India. It is located at an altitude of 2,100 meters above sea level and is a popular trekking destination for adventure enthusiasts. The peak is part of the Western Ghats and is surrounded by lush green forests and tea plantations.
How to Reach Chembra Peak
- By Air: The nearest airport is Calicut International Airport, which is about 97 km away from Chembra Peak.
- By Train: The nearest railway station is Kozhikode Railway Station, which is about 87 km away from Chembra Peak.
- By Road: Chembra Peak is well-connected by road. One can hire a taxi or take a bus from Kalpetta, which is about 14 km away.
Trekking to Chembra Peak
Trekking to Chembra Peak is a thrilling experience. The trek takes about 3-4 hours and covers a distance of 14 km (round trip). The trek is moderate to difficult and requires a good level of physical fitness. The trek starts from Meppadi, which is about 11 km away from Kalpetta. You need to obtain permission from the forest department to trek to Chembra Peak. The permission can be obtained from the forest office in Meppadi.
Things to Carry
- Water bottles and snacks
- Trekking shoes and socks
- Sunscreen lotion and sunglasses
- Raincoat or umbrella (in case of rain)
- Camera and binoculars (optional)
Best Time to Visit Chembra Peak
The best time to visit Chembra Peak is from September to February when the weather is pleasant and cool. The monsoon season (June-August) is not recommended as the trek can be slippery and dangerous. The peak is closed during the months of March to May due to forest fire hazard.
Approximate Latitude and Longitude
Latitude: 11.5598° N
Longitude: 76.0522° E