Koggala Lake in Unawatuna
Koggala Lake: A Hidden Gem in Unawatuna City of Galle, Sri Lanka
Koggala Lake is a beautiful and serene lake located in the Unawatuna city of Galle, Sri Lanka. It is approximately located at 5.9983° N, 80.3226° E. The lake is surrounded by lush greenery and is a popular spot for tourists and locals alike.
Things to Do at Koggala Lake
- Boat Ride: Take a boat ride on the lake to soak in its beauty and serenity. You can hire a boat and a guide to take you around the lake. During the boat ride, you can spot various species of birds and even some monitor lizards!
- Visit the Spice Garden: There is a spice garden located near the lake where you can learn about the various spices grown in Sri Lanka. You can also buy some spices to take back home.
- Visit the Turtle Hatchery: The Koggala Turtle Hatchery is located near the lake and is a great place to learn about the conservation of sea turtles. You can even release baby turtles into the sea!
- Visit the Buddhist Temple: There is a beautiful Buddhist temple located on an island in the middle of the lake. You can take a boat ride to the island and visit the temple to learn about Sri Lankan Buddhism.
- Enjoy the Sunset: Koggala Lake is a great place to enjoy a beautiful sunset. You can sit by the lake and watch the sun go down, while enjoying a cup of tea or a cold drink.
How to Get There
Koggala Lake is located about 10 kilometers from Galle city. You can take a tuk-tuk or a taxi from Galle to reach the lake. It is also possible to take a bus from Galle to Koggala and then hire a tuk-tuk to reach the lake.
When to Visit
The best time to visit Koggala Lake is from November to April, when the weather is dry and sunny. However, the lake is beautiful throughout the year and can be visited at any time.
Koggala Lake is a hidden gem in the Unawatuna city of Galle, Sri Lanka. It is a great place to escape the hustle and bustle of the city and enjoy some peace and quiet. Whether you want to take a boat ride, visit the spice garden or the turtle hatchery, or simply enjoy the sunset, Koggala Lake has something for everyone.