Explore the National Museum of Colombo in Colombo
Explore the National Museum of Colombo in Colombo, Sri Lanka
The National Museum of Colombo is the largest museum in Sri Lanka and is located in the heart of Colombo city. It was established in 1877 and has a vast collection of artifacts, art, and antiques that reflect Sri Lanka's rich history and culture.
What to See
The museum has a wide range of exhibits that cover different periods of Sri Lanka's history, from prehistoric times to the modern era. Some of the must-see exhibits include:
- The throne and crown of the last king of Kandy
- The regalia of the Sinhalese kings
- Buddhist artifacts, including statues and relics
- Traditional masks and costumes
- Antique weapons and armor
- Coins, stamps, and other memorabilia from Sri Lanka's colonial era
How to Get There
The National Museum of Colombo is located at Albert Crescent, Colombo 7. The approximate latitude and longitude of the museum are 6.9166° N, 79.8500° E. You can easily reach the museum by taxi or tuk-tuk. If you are coming by bus, take a bus to the Colombo Fort Bus Station and then take a tuk-tuk to the museum.
Opening Hours and Admission Fees
The National Museum of Colombo is open from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm every day except on public holidays. The admission fee is 1,000 Sri Lankan Rupees for foreigners and 20 Sri Lankan Rupees for locals. Students with a valid ID card can enter for free.
Tips for Visitors
- Wear comfortable shoes as the museum has a lot of walking involved.
- Carry a bottle of water as it can get hot and humid inside the museum.
- Photography is allowed inside the museum, but you need to pay an additional fee for a camera permit.
- Take a guided tour to get a better understanding of the exhibits and their significance.
- Visit the museum shop to buy souvenirs and books related to Sri Lanka's history and culture.
Exploring the National Museum of Colombo is a must-do activity for anyone interested in Sri Lanka's rich history and culture. With its vast collection of artifacts and exhibits, the museum provides a fascinating insight into the country's past and present. So, plan your visit today and discover the treasures of Sri Lanka!