Alishan Forest Railway in Alishan Township Area
Alishan Forest Railway Guide
The Alishan Forest Railway is a narrow-gauge railway located in the Alishan Township area of Chiayi, Chiayi City, Taiwan. It is a popular tourist attraction and offers breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains and forests.
The railway was built during the Japanese colonial era in 1912 and was primarily used to transport logs from the forests to the sawmills. After the logging industry declined, the railway was converted into a tourist attraction and has been running as a scenic railway since then.
The Alishan Forest Railway runs from Chiayi City to Alishan Township and passes through numerous scenic spots along the way. It is approximately 71 kilometers long and takes about 4 hours to complete the entire journey.
- Fenqihu Station - a quaint and charming station that offers local snacks and souvenirs
- Zhushan Station - the highest station on the railway and offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains
- Shizilu Station - a popular spot for cherry blossom viewing in the spring
Tips for Riding the Alishan Forest Railway
- Book your tickets in advance as they can sell out quickly, especially during peak tourist season
- Arrive early to secure a good seat and to take photos before the train gets crowded
- Bring warm clothing as it can get chilly in the mountains
The approximate latitude and longitude of the Alishan Forest Railway is 23.5081° N, 120.7983° E.