Takayama Old Town in Gero Area
About Takayama Old Town
Takayama Old Town is a historic district in the Gero area of Gifu, Gifu, Japan. This area is known for its well-preserved Edo-period streets, traditional buildings, and local crafts. The streets are lined with shops, restaurants, and museums, making it a popular destination for tourists.
The approximate latitude and longitude of Takayama Old Town is 36.1408° N, 137.2559° E.
Things to See and Do
- Visit the Takayama Jinya, a former government office that now serves as a museum.
- Explore the streets and admire the traditional buildings and architecture.
- Shop for local crafts, including pottery, lacquerware, and wood carvings.
- Sample local food, including Hida beef and sake.
- Attend one of the many festivals held in Takayama throughout the year, including the Takayama Spring Festival and the Takayama Autumn Festival.
Takayama Old Town is located in the Gero area of Gifu, Gifu, Japan. The nearest airport is Chubu Centrair International Airport in Nagoya, which is about 2.5 hours away by train. From Nagoya, take the JR Limited Express Hida train to Takayama Station. From there, it's a short walk to Takayama Old Town.
Where to Stay
There are several hotels and ryokans (traditional Japanese inns) in Takayama. Some popular options include:
- Hida Hotel Plaza
- Takayama Ouan
- K's House Takayama
Takayama Old Town is a must-visit destination for anyone interested in Japanese history, culture, and traditions. With its well-preserved streets, traditional buildings, and local crafts, it's a unique and fascinating place to explore.