Miyajima Island in Hatsukaichi Area
Miyajima Island, located in the Hatsukaichi area of Hiroshima, Hiroshima, Japan, is known for its iconic floating torii gate and stunning natural scenery. The island is approximately 34.2944° N, 132.3194° E.
Things to Do
- Visit the Itsukushima Shrine - This UNESCO World Heritage Site is home to the famous floating torii gate and is a must-see attraction on the island.
- Take a Cable Car to the Mount Misen Observatory - Enjoy panoramic views of the island and surrounding sea from the top of Mount Misen.
- Explore the Daisho-in Temple - This temple is known for its large collection of Buddhist statues and beautiful gardens.
- Try Local Cuisine - Miyajima is known for its fresh oysters and momiji manju, a sweet pastry filled with red bean paste.
- Take a Boat Tour - See the island and surrounding area from a different perspective on a boat tour.
Miyajima Island is easily accessible by ferry from the mainland. The ferry terminal is located in Miyajimaguchi and takes about 10 minutes to reach the island. From Hiroshima, take the JR Sanyo Line to Miyajimaguchi Station and walk to the ferry terminal.
Where to Stay
There are several accommodation options on Miyajima Island, including traditional ryokans and modern hotels. Some popular choices include:
- Miyajima Grand Hotel Arimoto - This traditional ryokan offers beautiful views of the island and a relaxing hot spring bath.
- Miyajima Seaside Hotel - This modern hotel is located near the ferry terminal and offers easy access to the island's attractions.
- Iwaso - This historic ryokan is located in a tranquil forest and offers traditional Japanese rooms and a hot spring bath.
Miyajima Island is a must-visit destination in Japan, offering stunning scenery, rich cultural heritage, and delicious cuisine. Whether you're interested in history, nature, or simply relaxing, Miyajima Island has something for everyone.