Ohara Museum of Art in Kurashiki Area
Ohara Museum of Art
The Ohara Museum of Art is located in the Kurashiki area of Okayama, Japan. It is one of the oldest and most renowned art museums in Japan, with a collection that spans from ancient to contemporary art.
The museum was founded in 1930 by Ohara Magosaburo, a wealthy businessman and art collector. He wanted to share his passion for art with the people of Japan and create a space where they could appreciate and learn about it. The museum opened with a collection of mainly Western art, including works by Vincent van Gogh, Claude Monet, and Pablo Picasso.
The museum's collection has grown over the years and now includes Japanese and Asian art, as well as contemporary art. Some of the highlights of the collection include:
- Paintings by Vincent van Gogh, including "Sunflowers" and "Starry Night Over the Rhone"
- Works by Claude Monet, including "Water Lilies" and "Rouen Cathedral"
- Paintings by Pablo Picasso, including "The Three Dancers" and "The Old Guitarist"
- Japanese art, including works by Sotatsu Tawaraya and Ogata Korin
- Asian art, including Chinese ceramics and Korean pottery
- Contemporary art, including works by Yayoi Kusama and Takashi Murakami
The Ohara Museum of Art is located at 1-1-15 Chuo, Kurashiki, Okayama Prefecture, Japan. Its approximate latitude and longitude are 34.5895° N, 133.7681° E.
The museum is open from 9am to 5pm, with last admission at 4:30pm. It is closed on Mondays, except for national holidays, and from December 28 to January 1. Admission is 1,300 yen for adults, 900 yen for college students, and 500 yen for high school and junior high school students. Children under 12 are free.
Visitors can reach the museum by train or bus. The nearest train station is Kurashiki Station, which is a 10-minute walk from the museum. Buses also run from Okayama Station to Kurashiki Station.
The Ohara Museum of Art is a must-visit destination for art lovers and anyone interested in Japanese and Western art. With its impressive collection and beautiful setting, it is sure to inspire and delight visitors of all ages.