Thamel in Kathmandu
Thamel in Kathmandu, Nepal
Thamel is a popular tourist district in Kathmandu, Nepal. It is located in the Bagmati province and has a latitude of 27.7152° N and longitude of 85.3127° E.
Things to Do in Thamel
- Shop for souvenirs: Thamel is known for its wide variety of shops and markets selling everything from traditional Nepalese clothing to handmade crafts and art.
- Try local food: There are many restaurants and street vendors in Thamel where you can try traditional Nepalese dishes like momos, dal bhat, and chow mein.
- Explore the nightlife: Thamel is also known for its vibrant nightlife, with many bars and clubs to choose from.
- Visit temples: There are several temples in and around Thamel, including the Swayambhunath Stupa (also known as the Monkey Temple) and the Kathmandu Durbar Square.
- Take a trekking tour: Thamel is a popular starting point for trekking tours to the Himalayas.
Where to Stay in Thamel
There are many hotels and guesthouses in Thamel to choose from, ranging from budget to luxury. Some popular options include:
- Hotel Friend's Home: A budget-friendly hotel with clean rooms and a rooftop terrace.
- Hotel Yambu: A mid-range hotel with a restaurant and bar.
- Dalai-La Boutique Hotel: A luxury hotel with a spa and rooftop pool.
Getting Around Thamel
Thamel is a compact area and can easily be explored on foot. However, if you need to travel further, there are several options:
- Taxis: Taxis are readily available in Thamel and can be hailed on the street or booked through your hotel.
- Buses: Local buses run throughout Kathmandu and can be caught from Thamel.
- Bicycle rickshaws: Bicycle rickshaws are a fun and eco-friendly way to get around Thamel.
Thamel is a must-visit destination for anyone traveling to Kathmandu, Nepal. With its vibrant atmosphere, rich culture, and many attractions, there is something for everyone to enjoy in this exciting district.