Lalbagh Botanical Garden in Bangalore
Lalbagh Botanical Garden Guide
Lalbagh Botanical Garden is a must-visit destination for nature lovers and tourists visiting Bangalore, Karnataka, India. Located at approximately 12.9507° N, 77.5848° E, the garden covers an area of 240 acres and is home to a wide variety of flora and fauna.
Lalbagh Botanical Garden was originally commissioned by Hyder Ali, the ruler of Mysore, in 1760. It was later expanded by his son Tipu Sultan and finally by the British in the 19th century. The garden was opened to the public in 1856 and has since been a popular destination for locals and tourists alike.
Some of the main attractions of Lalbagh Botanical Garden include:
- The Glass House - a beautiful greenhouse that was modeled after the Crystal Palace in London. It hosts an annual flower show every January.
- The Lalbagh Lake - a serene lake that is home to a variety of birds and fish.
- The Kempegowda Tower - a historical monument that was built by Kempegowda, the founder of Bangalore, in the 16th century.
- The Bonsai Garden - a collection of over 100 bonsai trees that are over 50 years old.
- The Lotus Pond - a picturesque pond that is home to a variety of lotus flowers.
- The Lalbagh Rock - a massive rock formation that is over 3,000 million years old.
Visitors to Lalbagh Botanical Garden can enjoy a variety of activities, including:
- Picnicking - there are several picnic spots throughout the garden.
- Jogging - the garden is a popular spot for joggers.
- Bird watching - the garden is home to over 100 species of birds.
- Boating - visitors can rent a boat and row around the Lalbagh Lake.
- Photography - the garden is a photographer's paradise, with plenty of beautiful flora and fauna to capture.
The Lalbagh Botanical Garden is open every day from 6:00am to 7:00pm. The entry fee is Rs.20 for adults and Rs.10 for children. There is an additional fee for boating. The best time to visit is during the winter months (November to February), when the weather is cool and dry.
Visitors are advised to wear comfortable clothing and shoes, as the garden covers a large area and involves a lot of walking. They are also advised to carry sunscreen and water, as the sun can be quite strong during the day.
Overall, Lalbagh Botanical Garden is a must-visit destination for anyone visiting Bangalore. With its beautiful flora and fauna, historical monuments, and variety of activities, it is sure to be a memorable experience for all.