Otaru Museum of Art in Otaru
The Otaru Museum of Art is a must-visit destination for art lovers. Located in the picturesque city of Otaru in Hokkaido, Japan, the museum showcases a wide range of art collections from local and international artists.
The museum was established in 1992 as part of the city's efforts to promote art and culture. It is housed in a beautifully restored building that was once a branch of the Bank of Japan. The building itself is a work of art, with its elegant architecture and stunning interior design.
The museum has an impressive collection of artworks that span different periods and styles. Some of the highlights include:
- Japanese paintings from the Edo period
- Modern and contemporary art from Japan and around the world
- European paintings from the 18th and 19th centuries
- Chinese and Korean ceramics
The museum regularly hosts exhibitions that showcase different themes and artists. These exhibitions provide a unique opportunity for visitors to experience a diverse range of art forms and styles.
- "The Beauty of Japanese Ceramics" - from May 1 to June 30, 2022
- "Contemporary Art from Hokkaido" - from July 1 to August 31, 2022
- "The Art of Calligraphy" - from September 1 to October 31, 2022
The museum has a gift shop that sells a variety of souvenirs, including postcards, books, and art prints. There is also a cafe where visitors can enjoy a cup of coffee or tea while admiring the museum's beautiful surroundings.
The Otaru Museum of Art is located at 1-3-16 Ironai, Otaru, Hokkaido, Japan. The approximate latitude is 43.1908° N and the approximate longitude is 141.0039° E.
The admission fee is 800 yen for adults and 400 yen for high school and college students. Children under 15 years old are free. Group discounts are also available.
- Monday - Sunday: 9:30 AM - 5:00 PM
- Closed on the third Wednesday of every month