Hakone Ropeway in Hakone
Hakone Ropeway Guide
If you're looking for a breathtaking view of Mount Fuji and the surrounding scenery, then the Hakone Ropeway is a must-visit attraction in the city of Hakone, Kanagawa, Japan. The ropeway is a cable car system that takes you on a scenic ride through the mountains, offering stunning views of the valley below and the iconic Mount Fuji in the distance.
The Hakone Ropeway has three stations: Sounzan, Owakudani, and Togendai. The Sounzan Station is located at the foot of Mount Hakone, while the Owakudani Station is situated in the middle of the mountain, and the Togendai Station is at the shore of Lake Ashi.
The approximate latitude and longitude of Hakone Ropeway are 35.2378° N, 139.0224° E.
Things to Do and See
Here are some of the most exciting and interesting things to do and see at the Hakone Ropeway:
- Take a scenic ride on the cable car and enjoy the stunning views of Mount Fuji and the surrounding scenery.
- Stop at the Owakudani Station and visit the volcanic valley, which is known for its hot springs, sulfur vents, and black eggs.
- Try the local specialty food, kuro-tamago or black eggs, which are boiled in the hot springs and said to add seven years to your life.
- Visit the Hakone Shrine, which is located near the Togendai Station and is known for its beautiful torii gate that stands in the water.
- Take a boat ride on Lake Ashi, which is located near the Togendai Station and offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains.
How to Get There
The Hakone Ropeway is easily accessible by public transportation. You can take the Odakyu Line from Shinjuku Station in Tokyo to Hakone-Yumoto Station, and then transfer to the Hakone Tozan Railway to Sounzan Station. Alternatively, you can take the JR Tokaido Shinkansen from Tokyo Station to Odawara Station, and then transfer to the Hakone Tozan Bus to Sounzan Station. From there, you can take the cable car to Owakudani Station and Togendai Station.
Tips for Visitors
Here are some tips to make the most out of your visit to the Hakone Ropeway:
- Check the weather forecast before you go, as the views are best on clear days.
- Wear comfortable shoes and clothing, as there is a fair amount of walking involved.
- Bring cash, as some of the food and souvenir shops do not accept credit cards.
- Be prepared for the sulfur smell at Owakudani Station, which can be quite strong at times.
- Take your time and enjoy the scenery, as there are plenty of photo opportunities along the way.
Overall, the Hakone Ropeway is a must-visit attraction for anyone traveling to the Hakone area. With its stunning views, unique attractions, and easy accessibility, it's no wonder why it's one of the most popular tourist destinations in Japan.