Take a cooking class in Yangon
Take a Cooking Class in Yangon, Myanmar
Yangon, the former capital city of Myanmar, is a bustling metropolis full of vibrant culture and delicious food. One of the best ways to experience the local cuisine is by taking a cooking class.
The approximate latitude and longitude of Yangon is 16.8661° N, 96.1951° E.
What to Expect
Most cooking classes in Yangon start with a trip to the local market to purchase ingredients. This is a great opportunity to see the fresh produce and spices that are used in Myanmar cuisine. After the market visit, you will head to the cooking school where you will learn how to prepare traditional dishes.
Some of the dishes you might learn to make include:
- Mohinga - a fish soup that is considered the national dish of Myanmar
- Ohn no khao swè - a coconut chicken noodle soup
- Tea leaf salad - a tangy and crunchy salad made with fermented tea leaves
- Curries - there are many different types of curries in Myanmar, each with their own unique blend of spices
During the class, you will get hands-on experience preparing the dishes and will learn about the cooking techniques and ingredients used in Myanmar cuisine. You will also get to taste the dishes you make and take home the recipes so you can recreate them at home.
Where to Take a Cooking Class
There are several cooking schools in Yangon that offer classes for tourists. Some of the most popular ones include:
- Theingyi Zei - a cooking school located in the heart of Yangon that offers classes on traditional Myanmar cuisine
- Yangon Cooking School - a school that offers classes on a variety of Asian cuisines, including Myanmar, Thai, and Vietnamese
- Burma Cooking Class - a school that offers classes on Myanmar cuisine as well as cooking classes in other parts of the country
No matter which school you choose, you are sure to have a fun and delicious experience learning about Myanmar cuisine.