Stroll through the beautiful Kenrokuen Garden in Japan
About Kenrokuen Garden
Kenrokuen Garden is a stunning landscape garden located in Kanazawa, Ishikawa Prefecture, Japan. It is considered one of the three most beautiful gardens in Japan, along with Kairakuen Garden in Mito and Korakuen Garden in Okayama. The garden was first opened to the public in 1874 and has since been a popular destination for locals and tourists alike.
The garden covers an area of about 11 hectares and features a variety of trees, flowers, ponds, streams, waterfalls, and bridges. It is especially famous for its cherry blossoms in spring, irises in early summer, and autumn leaves in November.
The name Kenrokuen means "garden of six sublimities," referring to the six attributes that make up a perfect garden according to Chinese landscape theory: spaciousness, seclusion, artifice, antiquity, watercourses, and panoramas.
The garden is open year-round, except for December 29 to January 3, and admission fees are 320 yen for adults and 100 yen for children.
What to See and Do
- Admire the breathtaking views of the garden from different angles
- Take a leisurely walk along the winding paths and explore the various areas of the garden
- Enjoy a traditional Japanese tea ceremony at the Seisonkaku Villa
- Visit the Kanazawa Castle, which is located adjacent to the garden
- Take photos of the beautiful scenery and the seasonal flowers and trees
- Try some local delicacies at the nearby Omicho Market, such as fresh seafood, vegetables, and fruits
- Shop for souvenirs at the Higashichaya District, a preserved geisha district with traditional wooden houses and shops
- Join a guided tour or rent an audio guide to learn more about the history and features of the garden
How to Get There
Kenrokuen Garden is located in the heart of Kanazawa City, about 2.5 hours by train from Tokyo or Osaka. The nearest train station is Kanazawa Station, which is served by the Hokuriku Shinkansen, limited express trains, and local trains. From the station, you can take a bus or walk to the garden, which is about 20 minutes away.
The approximate latitude and longitude of Kenrokuen Garden are 36.5617° N, 136.6562° E.