Gem Market in Chanthaburi
Gem Market in Chanthaburi, Thailand
About the Gem Market
The Gem Market in Chanthaburi is one of the largest and most famous gem markets in the world. Located in the city of Chanthaburi, which is about 245 kilometers southeast of Bangkok, the market is a hub for the gemstone trade in Thailand.
The market is open every day and features a wide variety of gemstones, including rubies, sapphires, emeralds, and more. Visitors can browse through the many stalls and shops, which offer both rough and polished gemstones. There are also many jewelry shops that sell finished pieces, including rings, necklaces, and bracelets.
Tips for Visiting the Gem Market
- Be prepared to haggle. Prices are not fixed, and vendors expect customers to negotiate.
- Bring cash. Many vendors do not accept credit cards.
- Be careful when buying. Gemstones can be difficult to authenticate, so it's important to do your research and only buy from reputable vendors.
- Consider taking a guided tour. This can help you navigate the market and find the best deals.
- Visit in the morning. The market is busiest in the morning, and many vendors close up shop in the afternoon.
The Gem Market is located in the city of Chanthaburi, which is about a four-hour drive from Bangkok. Visitors can also take a bus or train from Bangkok to Chanthaburi. Once in Chanthaburi, the market is located near the city center and is easily accessible by taxi or tuk-tuk.
Approximate latitude and longitude of the Gem Market: 12.6092° N, 102.0501° E